Tuesday 17 June 2008

CBT

I'm trying to make up my mind about what I really think of CBT (Cognitive Behaviour Therapy). CBT is a bit of a hot topic at the moment - it's the therapy recommended in many of the NICE (National Institute for Clinical Excellence) Guidelines - the treatment of choice for anything from depression to schizophrenia. I've got views of CBT from both a personal and professional point of view. On a personal level, I engaged in 12 sessions of CBT over about 6 months with a private therapist. At the time I also read lots of CBT informed self-help books such as Mind Over Mood: Change How You Feel By Changing the Way You Think and those from the 'Overcoming' series.

The tools of CBT were pragmatic and portable and they made sense to me. I quickly began to spot my own 'cognitive errors' - catastrophising, discounting the positive, labelling, should and must statements etc..... What strikes me about my own CBT was it's utility while I was seeing my therapist ..... However, once my sessions were over and I went back time and again to the books and the thought records, I had this dawning sense that despite knowing it in my head, I wasn't experiencing it in my heart, an observation that has been identified by Deborah Lee in her chapter in Compassion by Paul Gilbert.

I had this sense that there must be something wrong with me. I was 'working the programme' and superficially things were improving but deep down I still wasn't feeling 'right' -whatever that is.

And so with this in mind, how do I experience CBT from the other perspective - that of being the CBT therapist? I have worked with a number of clients using a CBT framework throughout my clinical training to date. Despite CBT theory emphasising the need to be collaborative (coupled with the desperate desire on my part to avoid positioning myself as the expert), it has been my experience that clients want me to be the expert - I am after all offering NHS funded services to the client (referred by their GP or some other similarly identified expert) as someone who can help them. And, implicit in the theoretical basis of CBT is the message, "Your thoughts are not the most helpful, let me help you change them". And I have seen people change their thoughts, schemas and core beliefs and been inspired and privileged to be a witness to this change. But I have also seen people for whom the thoughts that they were having may not have been the most helpful but were the most rational given their individual social environment. Someone living on the poverty line. Or the victim of racism, sexism or homophobia. In which case working with someone's thinking patterns feels like one small part of the jigsaw for whom those 8 NHS funded CBT sessions only succeeded in scratching the surface.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

interesting post about something I think all people doing CBT struggle with...you might find this of help in working with the problem of knowing it but not feeling it

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/springer/jcogp/2007/00000021/00000001/art00005

s.

My ClinPsych Life said...

Thanks for your comment S, this paper looks really interesting. It's firmly on my list of end of term reading!

Here's the abstract:


Stott, R. (2007) When Head and Heart Do Not Agree: A Theoretical and Clinical Analysis of Rational-Emotional Dissociation (RED) in Cognitive Therapy. Journal of Cognitive Psychotherapy, Volume 21, Number 1, 2007 , pp. 37-50(14). Springer Publishing Company.


In cognitive therapy, a dissociation sometimes occurs between a person's rational belief and the way it "feels" to that person. This phenomenon, though widely recognized, has received little theoretical analysis or research. Clinical and nonclinical examples are presented, revealing a phenomenon that is a matter of more than mere curiosity. A variety of theoretical perspectives are investigated, including implicit/explicit cognitive processing, the generation of emotion, neuroscience, metacognition, the role of emotional memories, and compassion. The implications for cognitive therapy are considered briefly and some research avenues suggested. It is argued that an examination of this neglected phenomenon could aid cognitive case conceptualization and warrants further theoretical and clinical attention.